- Best Practices for the Inclusive Philosophy Classroom
- Creating a family-friendly department - from UC Berkeley
- ADVANCE – NSF program to develop systematic approaches to increase the representation and advancement of women in STEM careers
- How to institutionalize diversity initiatives - from ADVANCE at the University of Michigan
- Iowa State University's recommended best practices for hiring in a gender/race neutral way.
- Virginia Valian on how to evaluate candidates fairly
- Philosophical Spaces on fair hiring practices
- Mary Rowe on how to deal with micro-inequities on your hiring committee
- How to make a philosophy conference accessible to the disabled (here, here, and here)
- APA Site Visit Program. The goal and activities of the program are based on a significant body of research and best practices developed over the past decade by the National Science Foundation ADVANCE program. Specific goals of the APA-CSW-sponsored site visits include:
- Gaining information in a systematic way about the range and variety of women’s and minorities’ experiences in Philosophy that contribute to the ongoing underrepresentation of women and minorities in the field.
- Informing departments, where necessary, about challenges women and philosophers of other underrepresented groups face, drawing on first person reports and social science research.
- Helping departments analyze the climate issues particular to their own setting.
- Making recommendations based on proven best practices. Department Chairs may write to the Chair of the APA Committee on the Status of Women for more information about the program.
New & Noteworthy
Undergraduate major awarded the Koury Walker First-Generation Student Summer ScholarshipXudong Ma, a double major in philosophy and linguistics, has been selected as a recipient of the Koury Walker First-Generation Student Summer Scholarship for his research on 'Reference and Variability of Semantics' under the supervision of...
We regret to announce the passing of Emeritus Professor Frederic J. SchickProfessor Schick worked on decision theory, philosophy of action, and philosophy of economics. He is the author of, among other things, Understanding Action: An Essay on Reasons (1991), Making Choices: A Recasting of Decision Theory (1997), and Ambiguity...
Undergraduate major to present at the 2023 Eastern Division Meeting of the APAJake Khawaja to give a Symposium at the 2023 Eastern APA "My paper Rationalizing the Principal Principle for Non-Humean Chance. The paper is about the intersection of two questions. (1) what is the right way to think about the metaphysics of objective...
Alex Guerrero and Denise Dykstra recognized for contributions to Undergraduate EducationProfessor Guerrero and Denise Dykstra received the 2022 School of Arts and Sciences Award for their Distinguished Contributions to Undergraduate Education Each year, awards for Distinguished Contributions to Undergraduate Education are given to...
Rhymes and Reasons: Hip Hop and PhilosophyRhymes and Reasons: Hip Hop and Philosophy01:730:256 (3 credits) Core: CCDProfessor Derrick Darby, Philosophy Hip hop is great for partying but what can we learn if we study the rhymes? Chuck D—pioneer from the hip hop group Public Enemy—once said...
Alex Guerrero Awarded 2022 Lebowitz Prize2022 Lebowitz Prize Awarded to Philosophers Cristina Lafont and Alex Guerrero The American Philosophical Association (APA) and the Phi Beta Kappa Society (PBK) are pleased to announce that Dr. Cristina Lafont, Harold H. and Virginia Anderson...
Alum Eddy Chen wins Popper PrizeRecent Ph.D. Eddy Chen, now an assistant professor at UCSD, has won the British Journal for the Philosophy of Science’s Popper Prize, for best article [Quantum Mechanics in a Time-Asymmetric Universe: On the Nature of the Initial Quantum State]...
Rutgers Summer Institute for Diversity in PhilosophyRutgers Summer Institute for Diversity in Philosophy Profile by Mercedes Diaz & Maryellen Stohlman-Vanderveen March 16, 2022 Rutgers Summer Institute for Diversity in Philosophy is a seven-day program on the Rutgers University Campus in New...